The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) warns consumers to ensure they are using the official MassDOT RMV website http://www.mass.gov/rmv when processing any transaction online
While searching for the Registry website, customers may inadvertently come across unofficial third-party websites or “mimic sites” that advertise similar services but have no affiliation with the RMV.
Red flags alerting you this is not the official RMV website:
• Massachusetts uses the abbreviation “RMV.” Any website using the phrase “Department of Motor Vehicle” or “DMV” should be avoided.
• Make sure the Commonwealth’s seal is located somewhere on the page. This will help ensure that is it an official government website.
• The Registry will never charge a customer for
• Status check (license, registration, title)
• Address changes
• If the site requires payment to access this information, it is an unsecured mimic site.